Wind Design Seminar 2023: Unlocking the Secrets of Building Resilience
Exploring Wind’s Impact on Roofs and Beyond
Are you ready to delve into the world of wind design and its significant impact on buildings? Join us for a dynamic seminar on October 16, 2023, at the Sheraton Suites Chicago O’Hare from 12:45 PM to 5:00 PM CST. This event promises to be an insightful exploration of wind’s influence on structural integrity, with a focus on roofing education and thought leadership. Whether you’re a seasoned professional or a curious novice, this seminar will offer a wealth of knowledge you won’t want to miss.
This four-hour seminar will unravel the complexities of wind’s effects on buildings, offering practical examples drawn from real investigations of roof system performance after exposure to high wind events. The event will be divided into comprehensive sessions designed to engage attendees with valuable insights and actionable tips. Here’s a glimpse of what you can expect:
- Pre-Session Introductory Video: Wind, a powerful force of nature, can wreak havoc on buildings if not properly understood and prepared for. This seminar begins with a pre-session introductory video that sets the stage for a comprehensive exploration of how wind affects structures.
- Review of ASCE 7 Versions and Changes: Gain a deeper understanding of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) 7 standards which are an integral part of the International Building Code. The latest version offers significant provisions and technical updates including wind speeds along the hurricane coastline; main force wind-resisting systems, components and cladding onf elevated buildings (roofing materials), as well as a chapter on tornado loads and effects; plus adjustments to Velocity Pressure and the Design Pressure Calculationswind speed maps, just to name a few.
- Real-World Applications of ASCE 7: See ASCE 7 in action through a practical example, shedding light on how these standards are applied in real-world scenarios.
- Exploring FM PLPDS 1-28 & 1-29: The potential impact of FM Global’s PLPDS (Property Loss Prevention Data Sheets) 1-28 and 1-29, covering wind design and roof deck securement and above-deck components.
- SPRI Standards Overview: Familiarize yourself with current and working SPRI (Single Ply Roofing Industry) standards to gain insights into the industry’s best practices.
- DORA® and RoofNav System Demonstration: Experience a demonstration of online roof assembly databases, DORA® and RoofNav, that streamline the roof design process.
- Code Criteria for Securement: Understand the critical code criteria for the securement of metal edging and gutters to mitigate wind damage and enhance the durability of roof systems.
- IFly Certificates for Student Participants: As a token of appreciation for your participation, limited IFly certificates will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis, courtesy of MTL Holding.
Meet the Presenters
Our seminar boasts a lineup of esteemed presenters who are experts in the field of roof design and the building envelope:
- Brian Chamberlain: An Architect and Code Specialist from Carlisle Construction Materials Inc.
- Stephanie Kiriazes: A Senior Codes Engineer representing Holcim Building Envelope.
- Bob LeClare: The Director of Perimeter Edge at ATAS International, Inc.
- Chris Mader: Code & Certification Manager at Blue Ridge Fiberboard.
- Colin Griswold: Codes Approvals Engineering Leader at OMG Roofing Products.
Who Should Attend?
This seminar is perfect for architects, engineers, builders, roofing professionals, students, and anyone interested in understanding how wind design impacts buildings. Whether you’re a seasoned expert or just starting your career, this event will provide valuable insights and foster a deeper appreciation for the role wind plays in building resilience.
Don’t Miss Out!
The Wind Design Seminar is set to be a valuable learning opportunity for those in the building design and construction field. Gaining insights into wind’s effect on buildings and keeping up-to-date with industry norms can enhance the durability and safety of your projects. This event is a perfect platform to learn from specialists and connect with peers in the industry. Don’t let this opportunity pass you by, register today to secure your spot. We look forward to seeing you there!